Tuesday 10 November 2009

Me & My Work

For the second session on PPD I had to start looking at constructing a CV and for the tutors I also had to bring with me 5 images that show what I like as a designer so they could get to grips and get to know us a bit. I really enjoyed the session, I described my work and I told how I was interested, especially through the current brief about retail graphics and advertising, looking especially at visual merchandising because have worked within retail for a long time and design of visuals and branding is especially important to driving sales. Jane gave me some useful contacts, I had already started to look at retail graphic agencies in Leeds, such as Gratterpalm who have worked with where I work in the past, and encouraged me to look beyond in terms of location. There is no reason why I can't travel, I have a driving licence and some financial backing, I should look more at retail capitals such as London where most international retailers have their head-quarters and their flag-ship stores.
As for my work I chose several pieces which shows diversity and print, illustration, research and print. These examples can be found on my previous blog account, the above images are part of the resolutions for the current brief I am working on, looking at the branding of a coffee house these are examples of the window visuals.

[above]: Examples of various prints I produced during my elective on manual print production. I loved working on this module, I like illustrating as a whole, but the module allowed me to produce some work that was very physical and tactile.
[above]: For a brief "No News is Good News", looking initially at a newspaper article I developed a mail-shot in response to the issue of public transport. The mail shot was intended to be delivered to transport authorities and provoke awareness of costs and such of transport, and playing on the idea "How would you like to see transport?" the pack comprised of cut-outs of a train fare protest scene.
[above]: This part of a brief at first was mainly to do with collection of research. Looking at the mundane subject of dust, I mapped out a room taking 100 swatches of dust throughout and displaying the results. The map was able to show various pieces of information such as the high and low concentrations and where there was least dust and where there was the most. I thought it was interesting how I had turned something that would make someones stomach turn into something that was aesthetically pleasing.
[below]: A brief that was set early in the year looking at "What is Yellow?" My interpretation was a series of illustrations involving a canary as a means to illustrate the features of yellow such as strong, safe, bright etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment