Monday 19 April 2010

Module Evaluation

OUGD204: Design Communication Through Type Elective
Short Module Evaluation

In short the module has influenced my practice in a good way. The plan of work has allowed me to grasp type right from the single character to a full-page document and was planned in such a way that it allowed it to grow. There have been many aspects of typography I found that I have never considered before. Type characteristics and the personification of type is something that seems basic but I have found to be an integral part of the type selection process and was pleased this was introduced early on. This has influenced my practice greatly and consequent briefs; taking more time out to consider the associations with typefaces is something I will take forward.
What has been questioning my practice is the way I work with layouts and again the personalities and the impression such a layout personifies. I feel I can confidently layout large quantities of information in an aesthetic manner but with what was introduced I feel I can do it with intent and where the design has purpose and hierarchy.
From here I would like to continue working with typography but go back to the individual characters and work on the personification of type in a more illustrative way. What interests myself most within typography and what I will continue to look at is the application of print processes, which was only briefly touched upon. Using type journal I was however able to document in particular the use of foil blocking as well as embossing and application of colour. Although the module has taught and influenced my practice, what it lacked was its application into situations and briefs; the personal CV leading to a business card etc, was a good way of understanding how it relates to our practice and something I could actually take away from the module as a physical piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment