Monday 11 April 2011

Creative Spark: Day 01



Today was the first day of my placement at Creative Spark in Manchester. Setting off at 7:30 I arrived at 9:30 for the day to begin. I was given a small tour again with Andy and to meet the rest of the team and had a quick brew to start some work. Today I was given a small live competition brief for an event happening in Manchester, the 'Northern Quarter Street Party'. I was to come up with a poster design that would be used to market the event. The event is for a 1940's style event which includes various small events including DJs, live music, swing dance lessons, a fashion show and event a barbershop quartet sing-off.

Sounds good. I found it particularly difficult for some reason to get started with the design. I have never attempted to do something for a nostalgic quality event before so it came quite difficult to create some experimental typography and even illustration for an event like this. I ended up creating a series of posters that reflected my particular style of work which could go into my portfolio with ease. I also created a design that had a much more 1940's feel to the design.

Today I spent the best half of today trying to finalise these and climatise to working in their studio. Things I need to take on board are just being a bit more open and making sure I properly engage with what's going on around me. Andy has hopefully some live work lined up for me tomorrow and later in the week. Oh and I also need to remember to get on the train as fast as I can because train-travelers are the least courteous people.

No comments:

Post a Comment